U.S., EU decry upholding of China dissident sentence. Since when do Americans or Europeans decide what isn’t proper in China? The fact that China doesn’t have an American Bill of Rights has nothing to do with Communism. China’s foundation was built on Confucianism, and Confucius taught five rules for relationships.
- Father to Son – There should be kindness in the father, and filial piety in the son.
- Elder Brother to Younger Brother – There should be gentility (politeness) in the elder brother, and humility in the younger.
- Husband to Wife – There should be righteous behavior in the husband and obedience in the wife.
- Elder to Junior – There should be consideration among the elders and deference among the juniors.
- Ruler to Subject – There should be benevolence among the rulers and loyalty among the subjects.
Look at the last rule. When a Chinese citizen publicly protests the way the Chinese government runs the country, that is seen as an act of disloyalty. You may not agree with what China does, but China has the right to do as it sees fit even if the act is considered inhuman by Western standards.
If you want to subscribe to iLook China, there is a “Subscribe” button at the top of the screen in the menu bar.